The Station Hotel was built in 1855 to a design by the noted architect and engineer, Joseph Mitchell. It coincided with the opening of the Inverness & Nairn Railway, with which Mitchell was closely associated. The hotel was substantially redesigned in 1858-9 by James Matthews & William Lawrie. It was purchased by the Highland Railway in 1876. Further significant reconstruction was carried out by Ross & Macbeth in 1898 and it was then that the hotel’s entrance was moved from Academy Street to Station Square.
East Side: Station Hotel, Academy Street