East Side: East Church, Academy Street

Inverness Local History Forum have carried out extensive research which is detailed in their book “Inverness Farraline Park” and advise that this church first opened in 1798, however according to strong local tradition, Gospel preaching on the site dates much further back.
Am Baile – Highland History and Culture website has more information on the church – they tell us that the Free East Church was originally built in 1798 as a Chapel of Ease. It became a Free Church at the Disruption of 1843 and was enlarged in 1853 to the designs of Dr. Alexander Ross. In 1897, an octagonal belfry was built onto the church.