East Side: 38-44 Academy Street

This is the former Royal Academy Building and neighbouring sculptor’s yard, 1920. There is a wealth of history and information relating to this building – here are a few highlights:
In 1920, the year that the drawing represents, the Inverness Burgh Directory tells us that the sculptor’s yard was occupied by W A Fraser and also HMB Office. The directory also records the following businesses:
38, 40 John Gordon, draper and outfitter
42 James Allan, dentist
Cameron & Burnett, architects and surveyors
J. R. Burnett
44 The American Bazaar Coy.
46, 48 Inverness Steam Bakery
John Burnett
William H. Burnett
We also know that MacRae & Dick’s “motoring and posting establishment” entrance was to the right of this building.
For more information on the history of the Royal Academy Building, visit the Am Baile website: http://www.ambaile.org.uk/…